- Yes. This deer was in my yard. One of two on that particular day. I’ve come home on occasion to find as many as a dozen in my front yard. I’ve put up fences. I’ve taken them down. I’ve sprayed stinky stuff on my plants. I’ve tried communing with the deer spirits and suggesting they prefer my neighbors’ gardens. The deer are amused. So after 15 years, I’ve learned through trial and error what they will leave alone, what they will occasionally sample and what they will gobble to the ground. Here’s a partial list of things that live well with deer. More details coming soon.
- Aromatic herbs: rosemary, thyme, lavender, sage, lemon verbena, sweet woodruff, artemisia (also known as wormwood), rue, feverfew
- Perennials: bleeding hearts, coreopsis, black-eyed susans, foxglove, echinacia, shasta daisies, corydalis lutea
- Bulbs: iris, calla lilly, daffodil, hyacinth
- Bushy plants: rhododendrons, Mexican orange, cistus (also known as rock rose), heather, daphne